Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dating Girlfriend



We started texting, which turned into a date to a dance on a Thursday, or Friday night. He insisted that he come pick me up....‘To make it easier,’ nothing to do with the last time of getting lost!!! When the night of the dance came, I could hear his car coming up the road and parked across the street. I meet him in the road and said our hellos as he opened the car door. To my surprise, there where three lovely ladies squished in the back... How nice to have Ana, and two cousins with us.

To experience a dance with the lights on and everyone moving to the pounding music in a shuffling and swaying rage fashion was fun and rather different... I noticed the boys would walk up and do a little forward bow to a lovely lady, of course, the Tongan way of asking a girl to dance... it’s all about respect and I dig it!

After the dance ended we drove back to the apartment and he walked me to my door. For me, the door seen is a place I give either a huge or a high five depending on the level of enjoyment of time spent together. I wanted a huge... so I asked what was the proper good-bye...hahaha.He said: "A hand shake!!!" So I said, "How about a good-bye huge?" .... and he did!!! haha

The next two days we texted. On Sunday afternoon, he texted saying: "A good thing happened today. I want to discus when we meet again." There was a dance in his village on Tuesday that I was for sure going to!

That Tuesday (March 9) he texted that the power was out so the dance might not happen... "Well I’ll still come over and hang out," I texted back. I didn’t want to miss what he wants to talk about, even if the lights are out! I got there and the lights are still, indeed, out. So, we walked around a bit, checking the DJ and the set up of the gym. I could feel he was kind of avoiding talking! So, I asked him what was on his mind. We sat outside the gym, ironically, at the same place we first meat...

We sat there facing each other and he shared how he felt about me and recognized how fast and soon it was to ask.... As he was gather his words, I was filled with the most intense warmth in my heart. When he asked me to be his girlfriend. “YES” came flying from my heart to my vocal cords!!!! I had never been asked in such a formal way. These feelings and impressions of my heart spun me into a daze. As I was searching for solid ground, I shared that I too know it is fast. But, I was intrigued that a man so handsome and faithful in the church was interested in me. I gathered that he was a hard worker and as the oldest son had responsibility to the family... and I could see how loyal and trusting he is. So, naturally, I want to date him more seriously...I explained the best I could how I feel: so at peace and secure around him that I too want to see where our feelings would take us!!! We sat there enjoying are feelings as the lights came on and the DJ cranked up the music. The villagers and family started to bounce and shuffle to the music, it was a great evening!

The next few days went from texting to calling in 30 min sessions.... courtesy of the local phone company's specials..."talk 30 min free after the first 3 min for a total of 33 min of talking." Even though we where on the same island, we live on opposite sides of it and he had a job and Rugby that took up his time which didn't allow him to come over as much as we both liked...

That same week, I think it was Saturday, we went on another date to one of the nicest beaches on the island: Keleti. We intended on go swimming, but ended up talking and I fell asleep for a bit on the sand next to him...the next week he switched his work schedule and started to come over to visit more and we went on as many dates as possible for a whole month before he officially popped a crazy question....





No comments:

Post a Comment