Saturday, October 2, 2010

Tongan Boy and American Ta’ahine



It was interesting to observe the locals pick right back up to daily life with houses blown apart and trees uprooted. From what I observed, I didn't see a horrified look on faces, as I thought I would have if I found my house scattered! “You get by,” seems to be written on their faces. This is how island life is handled. It has happened before and will likely happen again, so why get over emotional about it, your alive so nothing to worry about!


After mother nature introduced herself to me on the island, I continued  
to adjusting to the Tonga way of life!






Angie received a texted from Plotu, a friend of the family. He was asking if I wanted to meet his wife's cousin, Sione, and if I was involved in a relationship back in the States. I could see what they where up to and I wasn’t involved back in the states. But I was hesitant, I spent  the past year or so dating filled with heart break and I was wanting to take a break for a little while. I had no interest in adding an international heart ache to the list. Yet with some rethinking i thought to myself, ”I doubt that Sione would even be tall enough, but at least a friend would be nice.” Plus knowing that he was a cousin seemed to keep me at ease, that a friend of the family wouldn’t set me with someone questionable!

 It was arraigned that we would be introduced at a dance next to his village. Angie and I tried to follow the instruction to the dance! But in Tonga, there are a lot of roads and only a few have names so following directions can be interesting!


It might go something like this: you take the main road out of town, pass the Hospital, pass the Royal Palace on the hill, then take a right at the red gas station that sometimes isn't open. Then you go till another gas stop and turn right, follow this road and take a left just after that china store (local 7/Eleven). When that comes to an end your in the village. Be sure to listen and follow the music to the building... You can imagine the challenge with this kind of directions plus with our little knowledge of the area. We tried to find the dance but decided to turn back before we became real lost... I was disappointed a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment